Study: My Understanding of

Addictions and Genetics

You will see so many people struggling to fight off an addiction. As soon as they have children, they shall start to worry if they also gave them the addiction. Here is more info on what being a parent with an addiction means.
Addictions are unfortunately genetic. When kids whose parents were addicted in their time get to their teenage years, they are more susceptible to fall into some form of addiction. This addiction can be blamed on genetics and behavior. This goes to show the contributions of behavior alongside those of genetics. How you behave, and how your kids choose to also behave has a bearing on how they will be in future. Children tend to ape their parents.
As human beings, we share virtually 99.9% of our DNA. We have all our differences to lay on the remaining 0.1% Such a small margin means that you have so much in common with your family members. This shows you how some families have a certain disease affecting them, addictions being one of those. If you are fighting an addiction, you are right to worry about what changes your child stands.
You can also see how behavior has more to lend to an addiction. Your behavior in front of your child goes deeper than is apparent. If you use drugs or alcohol, you shall be in close proximity to it. The kids will also be around it. You will see them learning how to use such things even before they can control themselves. You also have to think of how you expect the child of an addict to end up behaving. Their behavior will not be the usual, which is why addiction is not far-fetched.
It is worth mentioning that after having experienced what an addiction does to a family, the lessons learned will have them always conscious of addictions. There are many kids of addicts who learn to loathe the habit, having missed out on so much growing up. They will, therefore, do their best to make sure that this does not become the story of their lives in the future. You can make another positive contribution in their lives by making sure that this is not how history now repeats itself.
You need to first of all talk to your kids about drug and alcohol addictions, and share some of your experiences. They will see just how bad things can get, and how easily they start. As much as there is a chance they are likely to inherit the bad habit from you, the right approach will see them better prepared to avoid such an outcome.
For those whose personal struggles are ongoing, they shall discover more info on how best to fight it here.